- Introduction to Manufacturing and its evolution, Net and near-net shape manufacturing;
- Metal Casting: Solidification of Alloys and its mechanism, Gating System Design and Estimation of Solidification time, Riser Design and Riser Placement, Process Variations, Defects and Product Design;
- Metal Forming: Mechanism of plastic deformation, fundamentals of plasticity, Introduction to Force equilibrium method, State of Stress and boundary conditions in Upsetting/forging, Rolling, Wire and tube drawing, Extrusion and Deep Drawing, Defects, Load estimation for one plane strain and one axi-symmetric bulk deformation processes, Analysis of Deep Drawing and Bending, Introduction to High velocity forming processes;
- Powder Processing (Metals and Ceramics), Polymer Part Manufacturing, Introduction and properties of polymer melts and Visco-elasticity, Processing of Thermoplastics (Extrusion, Injection Molding, Blow Molding, Rotational Molding) and Thermosets (compression and transfer molding), Tool and product design principles;
- Rapid Manufacturing: Need for RP/RT/RM, Introduction to Processes for Prototyping, Tooling and Manufacturing;
- Joining and Welding: Introduction, Solid State and Fusion Joining, Brazing and Soldering, Mechanical and Adhesive Joining, Metal and nonmetal joining;
- Metrology: Tolerancing (Dimensional and Geometric) principles and their measurements (Geometrical tolerances using point data), Interferometry – principles, flatness testing using optical flat, optical interferometers, Moire fringe system measurements.
2. Ghosh and Mallick A. K., Manufacturing Science. Affiliated East-West Press Pvt. Ltd. 2010.
3. S. Kalpakjian, Manufacturing Processes for Engineering Materials, Fifth edition. Pearson Education, 2009.
4. G. K. Lal and S. K. Choudhury, Fundamentals Of Manufacturing Process, 2009. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2011.
5. J.P.Holman, Experimental Methods for Engineers, McGraw Hills Int. Edition.
6. R.K.Jain, Engineering Metrology, Khanna Publishers, 2013.
- Teacher: Surya S