Overview of Rapid Product Development: Product Development Cycle, virtual prototyping, physical prototyping, Solid Modelling: Data formats, conversion, checking, repairing and transmission. Synergic integration technologies, Part slicing and Build Orientation, Area-filling strategies, applications and limitations of RPM. Classification of RPM processes: Sheet Lamination, Material Extrusion, Photo-polymerization, Powder Bed Fusion, Binder Jetting, Direct Energy Deposition. Popular RPM processes. Selection of rapid prototyping, tooling and manufacturing systems based on product requirements.
1. Gibson, D. W. Rosen, and B. Stucker, Additive Manufacturing Technologies: Rapid Prototyping to Direct Digital Manufacturing. Springer, 2010
2. C. K. Chua and K. F. Leong, Rapid Prototyping: Principles and Applications in Manufacturing. World Scientific, 2003.
3. Lu, L., Fuh, J., Wong, YS., 2001, Laser Induced Materials and Processes for Rapid Prototyping, Kluwer
4. Pique, A., Chrisey, DB., 2002, Direct Write Technologies for Rapid Prototyping Applications: Sensors, Electronics and Integrated Power Sources, Academic Press.
5. Venuvinod, PK., Ma, W., 2004, Rapid Prototyping - Laser Based and Other Technologies, Kluwer.
- Teacher: Surya S